If you don’t use Gmail, skip this post and go do something more fun.
But if you do, then click on the image because you might be missing out on some of your emails.
You may or may not know that Gmail has made a recent change to their inbox sorting that has understandably made many people a little upset (as a Gmail user, I know I am).
Ok, so what’s the problem?
It has introduced a new “tabbed inbox” where your inbox is now separated into a number of tabs (such as “Primary”, “Social”, “Promotions”, etc.”).
The problem is that THEY are the ones selecting which of your mails go into which tab. And THEY have decided that almost all mails from blogs that you subscribed to are going into “Promotions” tab.
Here’s how to avoid it in a couple of steps WITHOUT disabling it entirely.
- Click on the “Promotions” tab
- Click and drag an email from people that you want to get updates from into the “Primary” tab (erm… I’m assuming that you consider me one of these people)
- When it asks you “Do this for future messages from […]”, click “Yes”
And that’s it!
If you want to disable it completely (which is what I did):
- Click on the settings button (the circular button that looks like a gear on the top right)
- Choose “Configure Inbox”
- Uncheck/deselect all boxes EXCEPT “Primary”
- Save changes
Whatever you do on your Gmail desktop version should automatically update your mobile version too, so you don’t need to redo it.
Let me know if you have any questions by leaving a comment below.